Sunday, December 17, 2017

SISULU: I WANTED TO PROVE THE POSSIBILITY OF SLATELESS CAMPAIGN
Deputy president nominee Lindiwe Sisulu says she wanted to prove that it's possible to run a campaign without a slate.

FILE: Lindiwe Sisulu. Photo: Bertram Malgas/EWN
Eyewitness News

JOHANNESBURG - African National Congress (ANC) deputy president nominee Lindiwe Sisulu says she's glad she went through the campaign process for the party's top position.

Speaking on 702 on Sunday evening, Sisulu says she wanted to prove that it's possible to run a campaign without a slate.

“The point that I wanted to drive home was that it is possible to do it. It is possible to go on a slateless campaign, that has absolutely no resources because we would like to revive and renew the ANC.”

She says she did not make any deal with Zweli Mkhize for him to decline his nomination for deputy president.

“I went up to him to ask why he had turned it down and he said he thought it was the right thing to do. I wish he had stayed on, but nonetheless no, I didn’t make a deal with him, it’s not in my interest to do that.”

Sisulu says she approached Cyril Ramaphosa to be her deputy to do away with the patriarchal mentality that says women should always be second to men.

“The point I’m making is that it comes so naturally to say to a woman ‘why don’t you become a deputy’, and I wanted to put a different perspective to society which is why would he not be my deputy?”

No comments: